Monday, February 1, 2010

The B-Effect (in PK)

No.4

Last week I traveled to Karachi for AMC and got a (much needed) dose of good ol’ Acumen Fund energy while working out of the AFPK country office & attending the prospective Fellows 2011 dinner. Smart, capable and ambitious people here in PK, from young entrepreneurs to highly seasoned business persons, are working hard to move this country into a better tomorrow. For instance, I met with Mahboob Khan, a female partner of an architectural firm in Karachi, and I was incredibly moved by her intellect, passion and resolve to design high quality, aesthetically pleasing housing for the BOP.

I left Karachi renewed in spirit and returned to Lahore with Blair Miller, AF Fellows Manager. Have you ever met someone who brings energy & life to nearly every aspect of your own? Someone who is continually working to inspire, motivate & challenge others to be the best [fill in the blank] they can be? B.Miller is that someone – and on her first visit to PK she didn’t’ miss a beat.


So, with both of us in Lahore - me gun-ho about AMC’s potential impact in Punjab & Blair pushing me & the other PK Fellows to experience our time here on yet an even deeper level - and Jawad, CEO of AMC, showing me the ropes of how to start a business in a demanding environment, I find myself, despite my initial skepticism about being able to thrive in Pakistan, building a greater, stronger sense of self.

Look, this experience is definitely not full of marigolds & roses (the oft-used Pakistani flowers) all of the time because believe me, there are serious challenges in working & living in Lahore. But, I’m able to grow & feel at home because of the people here – my new friends, new extended family, colleagues and all of the Blairs of this world that I meet daily. So…here’s to embracing and enduring tomorrow.


9 comments:

  1. what a great post! love you much and can't wait to see what the year brings for you, sarah. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear Sarah. We had no doubt you would be inspired and inspire others while you were there. Keep up the good work. Lots of love from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks kim & dana - my diligent blog readers & followers! love you guys...Texas never sounded so good! love & miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you made it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you're getting stuff done, adjusting. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,

    Your energy, resilience, and passion remind us all that we can be so much more if we just demand it of ourselves. Thank you for all you are doing for the world.

    ReplyDelete